Idaho State University Idaho State University Home PageISU Site Feedback FormISU Web Site SearchISU Website Index
Hazardous Waste Policies and Procedures Manual - 2003 Edition
This manual was prepared for use within ISU.  It is intended for use by, and applies to, ISU employees, staff, visitors, and students.  If this manual or any portion of it is used elsewhere, neither its authors nor the University accept responsibility for its contents.

Appendix S - Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to broken glass?
It is highly recommended that broken glass be placed into puncture resistant containers before putting it into ordinary trash.  After the broken glass containers are full they are sealed and put into the dumpster. 

If the glassware is contaminated with a P-listed hazardous waste, it must be triple rinsed (putting the rinse water into a hazardous waste container and labeling it) and then placed into a broken glass container or another puncture resistant container before putting it into ordinary trash.

It is also acceptable to place the broken glass into the spill cleanup container if it is puncture resistant.

Who is responsible for chemical safety?
Each department is individually responsible for the safe use and acquisition of chemicals. The TSO provides training on chemical safety as it pertains to hazardous waste.   TSO may lend training materials to departments upon request.

How do I fill out a hazardous waste label?
Enter the chemical contents in written English.  Chemical formulas are not acceptable.  If the concentrations of the constituents are known, note them as well.  Assign the bottle an ISU #.  We suggest using the room number, dash, bottle number (ie 215-1, 215-2, etc.)  Don’t worry about using the same ISU # on more than one Chain of Custody.  Each Chain of Custody has an identifying number, which should also be placed on the label (COC line), that creates a unique combination for our records.  The physical amount should be approximated and entered with the appropriate units, and the physical state (solid, liquid, or gas) should be noted on the label.  The Generator’s Name, Bldg., and Room # should also be entered.

The hazardous waste label is too big for the bottle, what should I do?
The easiest thing in this circumstance is to write the words “Hazardous Waste” on the label of the bottle if it shows the contents.  The bottle should also be assigned a bottle number and entered on the chain of custody form.

The hazardous waste label may also be partially attached to the bottle by exposing a small amount of the adhesive backing.  Just make sure the label will stay on the bottle and that the bottle can stand up properly if this is how it is done.
How do I arrange for a hazardous waste pickup?
If your laboratory has a SAA, TSO personnel monitor for needed waste pickups and will be there when it is time to be emptied.  TSO normally cleans out all SAAs at the end of each semester, during shipment times, whether or not the containers are full.  If you need something removed sooner, simply call TSO and ask for a waste pickup.  Please note that TSO staff need time to coordinate the pickup.
How full can I fill a waste container?
Since most wastes are consolidated into drums at the time of shipment, we ask that contents do not completely fill the container.  Please leave a small head-space.  A few inches or the neck is usually sufficient on containers larger than 4L.

Where can I find MSDSs?
If the original MSDS is not kept somewhere in the department, usually the stockroom or with a department safety manager, MSDS may be obtained from the manufacturer of the chemical, from the internet, or from the TSO.  

How is infectious waste regulated?
TSO has developed a separate manual for infectious waste management, also known as medical waste and bio-waste.  Copies of this manual may be requested by calling x2310.

What happens to empty containers?
RCRA defines a container as empty if no more than 1 inch of residue remains or 3% by weight from acute hazardous wastes if the container is less than 110 G in size.  Empty containers that have not contained a P-listed waste may be thrown into ordinary trash, however we recommend first rinsing them and destroying the container to prevent future use.  Empty containers that have held P-listed wastes must be triple rinsed with an appropriate solvent before disposal and the rinse water must be disposed of as hazardous waste.  During a hazardous waste shipment, ISU crushes all glass containers and plastic containers and they are sent to a RCRA landfill as non-regulated waste.  TSO is happy to keep empty containers for future waste storage at your request, however we do not have the facilities to store them for extended periods of time.

There is a car accident in the road, do I call TSO to clean up the gasoline and other fluids?
City streets are not ISU property and thus not the responsibility of ISU to clean up.  However, TSO has assisted Pocatello Fire Department in the past by preventing gasoline from getting in to the wastewater drainage system.  If the accident is in and ISU parking lot or on ISU property, then yes, TSO should be called for a hazardous waste clean up.

Is waste generated in dormitories regulated?
This is a tricky question.  If the waste is generated by an activity or function of ISU, or from ISU equipment, then yes we dispose of it as hazardous waste.  If the waste is generated from a student’s personal use, such as hairspray (flammable), then ISU considers it household waste.  

Hazardous / Infectious Waste  |  Radiation Safety  |  Laser Safety  |  Mission  |  MSDS
Contact TSO  |  Emergency Response Instructions
Technical Safety Office
Idaho State University
Campus Box 8106
785 S. 8th St. PS Rm 101 
Pocatello, ID 83209
Phone: (208) 282-2310 or 282-2311
Fax: (208) 282-4649


Page Updated: 9/26/03